Mara Hospital probes payment complaint over Butiku treatment

By Our Correspondent, Musoma

The Mwalimu Nyerere Memorial Regional Referral Hospital in Mara has launched an investigation into allegations that relatives of former public servant Warioba Joseph Butiku were asked to pay for a mechanical ventilator during his treatment.

The hospital said Mr Butiku was admitted to the facility on August 7, 2026, after being referred from Butiama District Hospital for further medical attention.

According to a statement issued by the hospital on August 9, Mr Butiku was initially treated at the Emergency and Accident Department before being transferred to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), where he remains under medical care.

The complaint emerged after the patient’s relatives reportedly raised concerns over a request for TZS 150,000 to facilitate the use of a mechanical ventilator to support the patient’s breathing.

The hospital management said its review had established that such a charge was inconsistent with government procedures, which do not require patients to make a separate payment for the service.

“Following the complaint, management, in collaboration with the regional authorities, conducted an interview with the patient’s relatives and identified the staff member alleged to have been involved,” the statement said.

The hospital said appropriate disciplinary measures would be taken against the staff member in accordance with public service laws, regulations and professional procedures.

It also said the matter had been referred to the Prevention and Combating of Corruption Bureau (PCCB) for further investigation and appropriate action.

The hospital’s action comes amid renewed public scrutiny over the handling of payments and services in public health facilities, particularly where patients and their relatives may be vulnerable or unable to immediately establish the correct payment procedures.

The hospital clarified that charges for medical services should be paid through the designated hospital payment system using an official control number, rather than through informal arrangements.

It urged patients and their relatives facing payment-related challenges or other difficulties at the facility to contact hospital management through the official communication channels displayed at the hospital.

The hospital said it would continue working with the relevant authorities to ensure that patients and their relatives receive clear information on approved payment procedures.

The statement was signed by Judith Vincent Machumu, Head of the Public Relations Unit at the Mwalimu Nyerere Memorial Regional Referral Hospital.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Advertisement