Mwigulu orders faster AFCON 2027 training ground construction

By Victoria Godfrey

Prime Minister Mwigulu Nchemba has called for an accelerated pace of preparations for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), saying Tanzania must view the continental tournament as a major economic and development opportunity rather than simply a sporting event.

Dr Nchemba said hosting AFCON 2027 would create opportunities across the economy by attracting international visitors, businesses, investors and football stakeholders, while also raising Tanzania’s profile as a destination for tourism and investment.

He made the remarks yesterday, August 21, 2026, during an inspection of construction works at the Farasi and Leaders training grounds in Dar es Salaam, where he directed contractors and government officials to increase the pace of work and ensure the facilities are completed on time.

Tanzania will co-host the 2027 tournament with Kenya and Uganda.

The Prime Minister said preparations could not be assessed on the basis of assurances from officials alone, stressing that facilities must meet the standards expected by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) when inspectors visit the country.

“I direct ministries and contractors to increase working hours, including working day and night and, where possible, operating in 24-hour shifts. 

Tanzania cannot rely on claims that it is ready; organisers and inspectors must see for themselves the level of preparedness,” Dr Nchemba said.

He urged all officials involved in the preparations to ensure the Government’s efforts to secure the hosting rights translate into successful delivery of the tournament.

Dr Nchemba also said the recent performances of Tanzania’s national teams and clubs in international competitions demonstrated the country’s growing potential in football and its ability to achieve greater results on the continental stage.

Deputy Minister for Information, Culture, Arts and Sports Hamis Mwinjuma said Farasi was among five training grounds being constructed as part of Tanzania’s preparations to meet CAF requirements for AFCON 2027.

The ministry’s Permanent Secretary and Government Spokesperson, Gerson Msigwa, said construction at Farasi had reached 74 per cent and was expected to reach 81 per cent by September 1.

He said work at the Gymkhana training ground had reached 65 per cent.

Msigwa said the first and second payments for the project had been made, with Turkey-based Reform Sports undertaking construction and the Tanzania Buildings Agency (TBA) serving as the supervising consultant.

TBA project consultant Godfrey Mwakabole said construction works at Farasi include a football pitch with natural grass, changing rooms, floodlighting and external infrastructure.

The facility will also have massage rooms, medical rooms, referee facilities, toilets and designated areas for people with disabilities.

Mwakabole said security fencing was being installed to strengthen the safety of teams and officials using the facility.

He said most of the required equipment had already arrived, expressing confidence that the project would surpass 80 per cent completion by the end of August.

With AFCON 2027 expected to bring together some of Africa’s biggest football nations and thousands of visitors, the Government is under increasing pressure to ensure Tanzania’s venues, training facilities, transport systems and hospitality infrastructure are ready to meet continental standards.

For Tanzania, officials say the tournament presents an opportunity to use sport as a catalyst for tourism, business, investment and wider economic activity.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Advertisement