Akwilapo goes to the ground to tackle Tanga land disputes

By Our Reporter, Tanga

Minister for Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development Leonard Akwilapo has taken his efforts to resolve land disputes in Tanga to the ground, inspecting contested areas in Tanga City and Handeni to establish facts and determine possible solutions.

Dr Akwilapo conducted the inspection on August 19, 2026, following complaints from residents, institutions and local leaders over land ownership and allocation disputes that have persisted in some areas.

The minister began his tour in Raskazone, Tanga City, where he inspected a dispute involving Plot No. 163, Block KB XVI. 

The owner claims that a section of a road leading to the offices of GBP has been constructed within the boundaries of the plot.

He later visited Chumvini in Chumbageni Ward, where he inspected an area where some residents are alleged to have undertaken developments within a mangrove conservation area.

The minister then travelled to Handeni, where he inspected disputed areas in Kwenjugo, Chanika and Mdoe wards and heard complaints from councillors, local leaders and residents.

One of the disputes involves Handeni Folk Development College (FDC) and Lyakundi Investment. The company is alleged to have been allocated 21,937 square metres of land, instead of 5,625 square metres, with the excess area reportedly overlapping land claimed by the college.

Dr Akwilapo also inspected an area near Mshikamano Primary School, where Lyakundi Investment has been stopped by Handeni Town Council from developing a plot following complaints that the land allocation process did not comply with established procedures.

At Milupi, the minister examined a dispute involving the family of the late Yusuf Ulenge and Ngugwini Street authorities over ownership of 15 acres.

Another complaint was raised in Seuta, where Kwenjugo Ward Councillor Twaha Mgaya alleged that some plots had been allocated without following the required procedures.

The minister also inspected the Kwedisewa area as part of his fact-finding mission.

In another dispute, the Hassan Msindo family claims that its 30-acre parcel was surveyed and subdivided into plots but that the family received only three plots instead of the 60 per cent share it says it was entitled to.

The family asked the government to intervene and ensure that the matter is resolved fairly.

The minister’s inspection comes as the government continues efforts to tackle land conflicts, which have remained a source of tension between individuals, communities, institutions and local authorities in various parts of the country.

Speaking at the end of the tour, Dr Akwilapo urged institutions, leaders and citizens to comply with land laws, regulations and procedures when allocating, acquiring and developing land.

He said adherence to the law was critical in preventing disputes and protecting the rights of legitimate landowners.

Resolving land disputes is among the priorities of the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development for the 2026/27 financial year, with emphasis on strengthening mechanisms for settling such conflicts.

Dr Akwilapo also commended regional and district leaders for supporting the ministry in addressing land disputes in their areas.

He said the ministry would issue directions on the disputes he inspected in the coming days, raising expectations among affected parties that long-running complaints could finally be brought to an end.

The Tanga tour underlines the importance of resolving land disputes through physical verification, proper documentation and adherence to the law, particularly where competing claims involve public institutions, private investors and local communities.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Advertisement